By: Nutrition Expert- Vidula Kozarekar, Mumbai.
Email id: email@example.com
Gond or Dink is the edible gum in crystalized form. Gum arabic (GA) is defined by the Food and Agriculture Organization-World Health Organization Joint Expert Committee for Food Additives (JECFA) as ‘a dried exudate obtained from the stems of Acacia Senegal tree or closely related species of Acacia (family Leguminosae)’. GA has a beneficial role to modify the physiological system in humans. It is claimed to have many physiological and therapeutic effects which were investigated in several studies.
- Gum Arabic is a 100% vegetable and natural, non-genetically modified, classified as a food additive in the list of permitted additives in Europe without quantitative limitations swallowed.
- It also has the approval of the US Food and Drug administration organization.
- The Acacia gum has a great advantage in the international fight against obesity, by providing only 1.5 kcal/g.
- It is considered as non-cariogenic additive due to its low carbohydrate content.
- On the contrary, the Acacia gum is very rich in vegetables and water-soluble fibres (85% according to the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists method), which adds to its nutritional and functional value that contributes to a balanced diet in the consumption of liquid food.
- It could significantly alleviate adverse effects of CRF (Chronic Renal Failure)
- Offers more protection in the digestive tract, when dissolved and forms a sticky gel that acts as a protective cover and prevents harmful substances; It can absorb water, increasing the volume of stool, have affinities’ specific adsorption of ammonia, urea, creatinine, bile acids, and phosphate bond agent.
- Fermentable natural fibre of gum Arabic act as probiotics improves the absorption of minerals, especially calcium and helps to maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in the GI tract and resulted in fewer gastrointestinal side effects, such as gas and bloating.
- Epidemiological studies suggest that adequate intake of fibre constantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease, mainly through a reduction in levels of low-density lipoprotein. The results of randomized clinical trials are inconsistent, but suggest that fibre may play a beneficial role in reducing levels of C-reactive protein, Apo lipoprotein levels and blood pressure, all of which are biomarkers for heart disease.
- Gum Arabic is the richest source of essential amino acids.
- Gum Arabic has attractive antioxidant properties. Experimental evidence shows that there is an association between the antioxidant and protein fraction, mainly by amino acid residues such as histidine, tyrosine and lysine, which are generally considered as antioxidant molecules.
- Gum Arabic is helpful in reducing tumours and also regulates the heartbeat.
- Gum Arabic helps to control heavy blood flow during periods.
- Gum Arabic is very useful in herbal ayurvedic medicine to treat cough and diarrhoea.
- Gum Arabic is great for boosting immunity.
- Gum Arabic works wonderful as a skin care agent.
- Gum Arabic helps for treating constipation.
- Inflammation of the urinary tract and blockage of urine can be cleared by taking Gum Arabic.
- Gum Arabic is helpful in gaining the strength in women after delivery; as it helps in the recovery of muscles of both mother and child.
How to use Gum Arabic or Edible gum or Gond or Dink?
- Edible gum is mostly used in Panjiris and ladoos. It is also used for making chakki.
- Various sweets can be made from it when mixed with flour and dry fruits.
- It is also given to new mothers as it improves their health. You can make recipes such as Gond ladoo, haleem ladoo, gond pak etc.
Storage of Edible Gum
- Keep it in an air tight container.
- Do not let any moisture be there in the gum. It might turn bad due to moisture.
- Make sure you use clean spoon while using it.