Nutrition Expert: Sana Saiyed, Practicing Clinical Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator, Mumbai
Physical activity has numerous health benefits and may also represent a cost-effective approach to the prevention of peptic ulcer.
The prevalence of H. pylori in the Indian subcontinent can be as high as 80 percent or more in rural areas. The most commonly recognized manifestation of H. pylori infection in India is peptic ulcer disease, particularly duodenal ulcer disease, which outnumbers gastric ulcers between 8:1 and 30:1 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3516022/)
What is Gastritis?
Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach’s lining. It can be caused by smoking, drinking too much alcohol, long-term use of aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or naproxen, infection with the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, severe injury, or shock.
Sometimes gastritis is an autoimmune condition, in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the cells that line the stomach.
Symptoms of gastritis
Symptoms of gastritis can include:
- abdominal pain or discomfort
- constant pain between the navel and lower ribs
- nausea, sometimes with vomiting
- poor appetite
- belching, bloating, or a feeling of fullness in the abdomen that is made worse by eating
There is conflicting information about the impact of exercise on some GI conditions. In some cases, doctors and researchers have good data to support the mild exercise.
Mild exercise is good for:
- Increasing endorphins and a feeling of well being
- Relieve symptoms of stress which can impair GI health
- Lowering the risk of colon cancer
- Strengthening your digestive tract
- When your body moves, so does your blood, improving overall circulation
- Making your muscles work more efficiently
- Strengthening your immune system
- Speed up the metabolism and cardiac function
- Reducing constipation by helping you pass a bowel movement more quickly than if you were sedentary
- Stimulating the number of positive bacteria which can help:
- Reduce obesity and metabolic disorders
- Reduce the risk of gastrointestinal disorders and colon cancer