By: Nutrition expert- Vidula Kozarekar, Mumbai.
Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a sequence of 12 powerful yoga poses. Besides being a great cardiovascular workout, Surya Namaskar is also known to have an immensely positive impact on the body and mind.
Surya Namaskar is best done early morning on an empty stomach. Each round of Sun Salutation consists of two sets, and each set is composed of 12 yoga poses.
Besides good health, Surya Namaskar also provides an opportunity to express gratitude to the sun for sustaining life on this planet.
Poses of Surya Namaskar (1)
- Pranamasana (1st & 12th pose)
- Hasta Uttanasana (2nd 7 11th pose)
- Hastapaadasana (3rd &10th pose)
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (4th and 9th pose)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (parvatasana (5th and 8th pose)
- Ashtanga Namaskara (6th pose)
- Bhujangasana (7th pose)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana/ Parvatasana
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana
- Hasta Uttanasana
Health benefits of Surya Namaskar: (2)
- Remove constipation and improves digestion.
- It simulates spinal cord, Nervous system, which improve concentration and brain functioning.
- Improves oxygen include capacity of lungs and affects positively of respiratory organs and helpful to prevent tuberculosis.
- Helpful in strengthening heart muscles and improves blood circulation and controls blood pressure.
- Improve flexibility and mobility of joints.
- Improves physical and mental balance.
- It develops stamina.
- It improves reproductive system.
- It is a key for weight loos.
- Improves digestion and metabolism of body.
- It is helpful in managing menstrual problems such as menstrual cramps and menopause stage.
- It is helpful to bring out impurities of skin from sweat and improve blood circulation of skin and provide glow to skin and deal with onset of wrinkles and aging.
- Strengthen digestive system including stomach, intestine, pancreas and liver etc.
- It is helpful in simulating endocrine glands, stabilizes activity of endocrine and thyroid glands.
- It improves memory and concentration.
- It is helpful in maintaining the balance of vata, pitha and kapha of which body is meant.
- Sun sanitation is helpful in removing impurities of body.
- It is helpful to cure postural deformities especially bow legs and knock knee.
- It develops immunity of body and resists fatigue and diseases.
- It increases more concentration, optimism and self Confidence.
- Beneficial to increase height.
- Helpful in increasing sports performance.
- Helpful in cure of coronary artery diseases, diabetes and hypertension.
- Helpful in reducing anxiety, stress and depression
- Surya Namaskara should be performed while facing sun, which will prove more beneficial to activate solar plexus.
- Proper warm up should be done before Surya Namaskara.
- Each pose should be hold for better effects.
- Focus on breathing should be done, while backward bending breath should be inhaled and while bending the spinal cord forward breath should be exhaled and there should be proper synchronization between breath and poses. For beginners professional guidance will help more.
- Don’t eat or drink before and after performing the Sun Salutation.
- In case of medical issues or any health problem Surya Namaskara is not needed to be performed without advice of doctor or expert.
- Surya Namaskara should be performed at peaceful place and in fresh air for soothing effects on mind, body and soul.
- Surya Namaskara will be more fruitful with a proper diet plan including a proper ratio of fat, protein, carbohydrates, minerals, vegetables and fruits and intake of 8-10 glasses of water.
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskara will have positive effects on overall health development.
- Women should avoid Surya Namaskara during menstrual period and pregnancy.
- Immediate bathing should be avoided after Surya Namaskara. There should be a gap of at least 30 minutes.
If you’re someone who has little time to spare for a daily workout schedule but still wants to stay fit, there is no better option than Surya Namaskar.
A person who practices Sun Salutation regularly will notice significant improvements in their lives, both physically and spiritually.